Saturday, April 28, 2012

Rain Delay

Our training ride is cancelled today due to rain. Even though I was really looking forward to it all week (I want to tackle the hills again! I want all those glorious swooping downhills! I want to HAVE A GOOD RIDE, DAMMIT) I am secretly hugely relieved. I just really, really didn't want to ride in the cold cold damp. And also, my neck is all stiff and no amount of massaging will loosen it. I think this is due to the fact that I ditched the basket and got a backpack instead (more on that later), to carry my stuff to work when I bike commute. The backpack is super convenient, but as a rule backpacks have never been comfortable for me, and the idea of riding 60 miles with sore neck/shoulders is just utterly depressing.

Anyway, I'm also a little happy about the cancellation because when the forecast looked so awful yesterday, I googled about and came up with an alternative 60 mile route, right here in Chicago. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, and I've kind of fallen in love with the idea of a very early morning solo ride around my beautiful city. So my training ride isn't really cancelled - just delayed until I do it by myself tomorrow.

So all this means that I can stop force-feeding myself oatmeal, put away the spandex, drool over pictures of Eleanor (Eleanor Dashwood, that is - I have names all picked out for my imaginary bikes, you know, and Eleanor is the cream and navy Sonnet Bliss. My literary friends can guess what the cream and claret Sonnet Bliss's name is.) And then I will just crawl back in bed with a heating pad around my neck and shoulders.

I love rain, when I'm not made to be outside in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment